[Spread-users] Dynamic size scatter

Yair Amir yairamir at cs.jhu.edu
Wed Nov 10 06:36:07 EST 2010

Hi Heimo,

I think there is a misunderstanding how scatter / gather works.

The structure of the scatter is not really in the message. After the bytes
are "gathered" a message is sent as a contiguous entity to the other side.
At the receiver, if a scatter is used, that contiguous entity is split
according to whatever definition you have at the receiver, which can be
unrelated to how it was gathered at the sender. There is no record of the
sender scatter structure in the message that goes on the network.

This is just how scatter / gather works. It is an operating system service
and Spread just provides the same service, and uses the OS service where
applicable.

Cheers,

	:) Yair,