[Spread-users] Spread Concepts communication and source code.

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Wed Jan 30 14:37:41 EST 2008

Hi,

I guess the short answer is... No. The project isn't dead.

There have been a few communication problems with regards to svn
accounts that I'm responsible for. For that I apologize, and I've
created the accounts I have records of requests for. If you would like
one and have not received it, email me directly
(jonathan at spreadconcepts.com) with your SSH public key and I'll set them
up now. The policy for SVN accounts has always been that anyone can have
one and that continues to be the case.

The Spread toolkit has reached a state of active maturity. The
discussions on the mailing list are often between users of Spread, with
members of Spread Concepts answering technical questions and
participating when appropriate. We also have had a number of direct and
active collaborations with outside users of Spread to customize it or
discuss how to use it most effectively and we continue to be interested
in working with others on improvements to Spread.  For example, in the
last few months John Schultz answered a number of questions on the list.

The source of Spread is available from Spread.org and any patch or
suggestion is always examined and looked at to see if it would benefit
the Spread code base prior to any full Spread version release. We also
provide SVN access - which except for the issues with creating new
accounts has been working continuously for years.

As to a location to host 'unofficial' Spread materials, in the past one
of the following methods handled that need:

1) Patch or suggestion was merged with the official docs or code;

2) We hosted the patches for the authors separately if they were not merged;

3) We host (and there are 3rd party archives) a web archive of the
mailing list with links to some of the most useful posts.

4) Someone created their own webpage or site for their patch or add-on
and sent us a link which we then added to the Spread Applications or
Documentation and Resources pages on the website.

It's certainly possible that some other way of handling this could be
useful and we'd be happy to discuss it.

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science