[Spread-users] One scabby sheep will mar a whole frock

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Mon Feb 4 17:38:00 EST 2008

The standard solution is to run spread daemosn at real-time priority so they
get the cpu time they need with as little delay as possible. You should be able
to find docs on any modern OS as to how to run a process with real-time priority.
On linux, it might be enough to run it as:  nice -20 spread

Spread is designed as a cooperative system (amoung the daemons) so the daemons are trusted to be
efficient and only do what they need to do when sending messages. That's actually the way the code is
written, only work that must occur while the daemon holds a token is actually done then, other work is
deferred to after the daemon forwards the token on to the next one. However, because of this,
if a daemon is modified or tuned to send a lot of messages before giving up the token, then other
daemons will certainly be delayed.

If you have a daemon that needs to do more work (send more messages) then the other daemons
want it to, then your application may need some flow control to balance that out
or regulate the busy daemon.

Jonathan

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science