[Spread-users] One scabby sheep will mar a whole frock

John Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Fri Feb 1 11:07:08 EST 2008

The only way I can think would be to have daemons monitor their load and
if it gets too high, then to voluntarily exclude themselves from the
membership for a significant period of time (e.g. - at least a minute).
This would require "vetoing" the current membership in which it resides by
purposely holding the token until the membership times out. Plus, the
deamon would have to ignore Spread traffic from all other daemons for the
exclusion period of time.  In addition, you probably wouldn't want to
rejoin the system until the load had dropped significantly below your
exclusion loading threshold to further prevent thrashing.

Other ways of dealing with this are to give Spread real time priority or
nicing it to very high priority.

---
John Schultz
Spread Concepts