[Spread-users] regular crashes in spread 4.0.0rc2

John Lane Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Thu Nov 8 15:13:22 EST 2007

If I recall correctly, the easiest way to trigger the bug is to cause
a new daemon membership to be installed.  You can do this by starting/killing a
daemon or causing/healing a network partition.

The crash is caused by illegal memory accesses where something is
interpreted as a pointer when it shouldn't be, so it jumps somewhere
random in memory.  As with most illegal access bugs it is not
completely deterministic and can sometimes trash your stack/heap,
which can ruin your core file.

The hope is that there shouldn't be crashes in the release version,
but there will always be bugs in software this complex.  If you do run
into bugs, then we are all here to help fix the bug.

Cheers!
John

---
John Lane Schultz