[Spread-users] trouble setting up my first spread network

Allen Brunson abrunson at landmarkdigital.com
Fri Feb 16 10:44:52 EST 2007

hello folks,

i've got my spread-using programs built on linux, but now i can't get my first spread network set up.

i've got 19 computers that will have spread-using programs on them.  there's one master program that runs on the first computer, and around a hundred client programs that run on all 19 of the computers.  i set up a config file that i hoped would include all computers into a single spread network, like this:

Spread_Segment 172.20.43.255:4803 {

c3serv03   172.20.43.3
c3serv04   172.20.43.4
c3serv05   172.20.43.5
[... and so on, for 19 separate entries]

}

the spread daemons on all 19 computers launch okay.  the code in all my programs joins a group that has the same name as the dns name of the first computer.  all my programs connect to the daemon running on their respective local computers.  alas, the master program can successfully communicate with client programs that are running on the same computer where it is running, but it does NOT get member-join messages for any of the programs running on the other 18 computers.

turning to the spread user guide, i read about spmonitor, on pages 16-17.  it shows the monitor menu that the program displays, and i can get that far.  then it says this: "The most common command will be to send a daemon a status query.  The results of that query will look something like figure 2.9"  but it does not say what you're supposed to type to get to that status query.  i tried almost every item in the spmonitor menu, and none of them did anything very useful.  item 3, "review partition," shows all 19 of my linux computers, but that's about it.

i'm sorry guys, but your documentation is awfully poor.

how can i tell why the programs on the other 18 boxes can't communicate with the master on the first box?  as a side question, do the daemons ever try to talk to each other using anything other than udp packets sent through port 4803?  if so, that's the problem, right there.  the admins at my site are super-paranoid, they've got everything locked down tight.  i had to go through unpleasant gyrations just to get them to open up this one port for me.

thanks,
allen

immediately.

Thank you.