[Spread-users] Clarification on spread configuration file

John Lane Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Wed Oct 18 16:52:50 EDT 2006

Hi Matt,

The point of a Spread segment is to inform Spread which, if any, daemons can
communicate with one another using hardware based 1-hop broadcast or multicast.
  If you have many daemons that can communicate this way, then data
dissemination between them can be much more efficient because a message can be
broadcast once within a segment and all the daemons in that segment will get
that message.

A configuration with multiple segments is (usually) a configuration with daemons
from multiple local area networks.  There is no broad/multicast between these
different networks so communications that must traverse the network boundaries
have to use something like point to point UDP.

A Spread_Segment address should either be the broadcast address for the network
in which the daemons of that segment reside or it should be a multicast address.
        Be careful if you use private networks -- all the daemons within a
configuration must be able to communicate with one another using point to point UDP.

Good luck,
John