[Spread-users] Clarification on spread configuration file

Matt Garman matthew.garman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 16:37:08 EDT 2006

I'm probably missing something obvious here, but I don't quite
understand the Spread_Segment configuration directive.

For example, if I have segments 1 and 2, with machines A and B listed
under each segment respectively (i.e. A under 1 and B under 2), I can
still "see" spread daemon A when running a spread app on machine B.
So what's the point of having multiple Spread_Segments?

Also, what exactly does it mean to list machines within the
Spread_Segment stanza?  I.e., are you listing all machines to which
spread should broadcast messages, or machines that are allowed to talk
to the spread daemon or ???

Finally, what are the implications of declaring a stanza like this:

    Spread_Segment 192.168.1.53:4803 { ... }

versus this:

    Spread_Segment 192.168.1.255:4803 { ... }

?

I'm just trying to make sure I set this up correctly!

Thank you,
Matt