[Spread-users] Re: Spread-users Digest, Vol 13, Issue 5

Shane Adams adamsch1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 12:57:40 EST 2006

Hey - depending on what you are doing you can do a bridge.  I.E write a small C program that listens to a domain socket that PHP can easily write to using fsockopen.  The C program talks to spread.   Something like this would be one-way, but has its uses in a PHP website for notifications.  I've used this in a non-spread enviornment and it worked great.  The functional requirements for the system was one-way notifications.

 Bi-directionally would be tougher of course, and would necesitate writing a proper Zend extension to benefit fully.

 You might take a look at some of the tools that auto-generate scripting language extensions around C code.  Swig I think the popular one is called.  It has a preprocessor that runs against a definition file that represents a C/C++ library.  The output is a python/perl/php extensions that just works.  I've used it for perl and was quite happy with it.

 Shane

Message: 1