[Spread-users] regular message rate pausing?

John Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Mon Oct 31 11:44:07 EST 2005

Hi Matt,

It sounds to me like your network multicast or broadcast is not working.

Performance should usually DEGRADE if you put each daemon in its own
segment versus all in the same segment.  In a single segment a data
message is usually only sent once through LAN multicast or broadcast.
In the setup you have described every data message will be sent N times:
once for each daemon!  So it is very likely that you have a switch or
router between your machines that isn't doing multi/broadcast
correctly.  This causes systematic message losses which have to be
recovered and the ring slows to a crawl.

If you'd like help getting your system to run better you should send
your spread.conf file and a detailed output of spmonitor when it is
running in monitor mode under the troublesome setup.  The fact that you
are still getting such high speeds speaks to the strength of your
infrastructure.

Also, the suggestion Mike made shouldn't really make much of a
difference at all if you are going to be pushing anywhere near that much
traffic.  His suggestion can help a little bit when messages are sent
pretty rarely (e.g. - 1 msg/sec).  This heuristic is also easily removed
completely if you expect lots of continuous traffic.

Cheers!
John