[Spread-users] clients blocked at startup in partial cluster?

toby cabot tcabot at revasystems.com
Tue Oct 18 17:46:11 EDT 2005

Hi folks,

I'm seeing some "interesting" behavior from Spread on Linux and wanted
to check if it's normal or something we want to look into.  I've got a
two-node cluster that uses Spread to decide which node is active and
which is backup.  If I start either node with the network cable
unplugged then Java clients block when they try to connect to Spread:

"main" prio=1 tid=0x0805ad70 nid=0x30cb runnable [bfffd000..bfffd87c]
	at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:182)
	at spread.SpreadConnection.readAuthMethods(SpreadConnection.java:433)
	at spread.SpreadConnection.connect(SpreadConnection.java:856)
	- locked <0x447e3f20> (a spread.SpreadConnection)

The client blocks until the network cable is plugged in, at which point
it proceeds.  The client is connecting to localhost, i.e.

  spread = new SpreadConnection();
  spread.connect(InetAddress.getByName("127.0.0.1"), port, name, false,
true);

Is this behavior expected or have I got something mis-configured?

Thanks,
Toby Cabot

PS.  Spread.conf contains:

Spread_Segment 239.16.3.11:4803 {