[Spread-users] regular message rate pausing?

Matt Hurd matt.hurd at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 04:56:16 EST 2005

Just a follow up.

Performance was improved in two ways.  By keeping one machine per
segment and ending up with five segments each with one machine, packet
rates were consistent enough.  I'm presuming the implied broadcast by
having all the machines in one segment had problems with sufficiently
large messages as the message rate would fall off a cliff ( single
digit m per sec rates) and the delay in delivering messages would
grow, seemingly without bound ( tens of seconds and growing ).

Anyway, by keeping each machine in its own segment and tweaking the
spread parameters a little benchmark of ours is seeing 10,000 of our
messages a second (reliable mode ~ 20K+ network packets per sec) with
sustained traffic of > 200 Mbs.  More than sufficient.

I'll have to revisit the broadcast with the new spread params sometime
and see if the rate is any better, but I suspect not given the
behaviour Mike reported about the sender needing to be the head of the
group.  At least with each machine in its own segment it will always
be the lead of the group...

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Matt.