[Spread-users] clients blocked at startup in partial cluster?

Fabian Schonholz fabianschonholz at mac.com
Tue Oct 18 20:35:56 EDT 2005

Not really sure who and why I was subscribed to this list, but can
the moderator or admin remove me.

Thank you.

On Oct 18, 2005, at 2:46 PM, toby cabot wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm seeing some "interesting" behavior from Spread on Linux and
> wanted to check if it's normal or something we want to look into.
> I've got a two-node cluster that uses Spread to decide which node
> is active and which is backup.  If I start either node with the
> network cable unplugged then Java clients block when they try to
> connect to Spread:
>
> "main" prio=1 tid=0x0805ad70 nid=0x30cb runnable [bfffd000..bfffd87c]
>     at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
>     at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:129)
>     at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:182)
>     at spread.SpreadConnection.readAuthMethods
> (SpreadConnection.java:433)
>     at spread.SpreadConnection.connect(SpreadConnection.java:856)
>     - locked <0x447e3f20> (a spread.SpreadConnection)
>
> The client blocks until the network cable is plugged in, at which
> point it proceeds.  The client is connecting to localhost, i.e.
>
>  spread = new SpreadConnection();
>  spread.connect(InetAddress.getByName("127.0.0.1"), port, name,
> false, true);
>
> Is this behavior expected or have I got something mis-configured?
>
> Thanks,
> Toby Cabot
>
> PS.  Spread.conf contains:
>
> Spread_Segment 239.16.3.11:4803 {
>      prfx4     172.16.3.14
>      prfx1     172.16.3.11
> }

Fabian Schonholz

====
The information contained in this e-mail is intended for the named
recipients only.   It may contain privileged and confidential
information, and if  you are not the addressee or the person
responsible for
delivering this to the addressee,  you  may  not copy, distribute or
take action in
reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify us
immediately by returning the original message to the sender by e-mail.

Thank you.