[Spread-users] Spread in distributed URL monitor application

Kashif Shaikh kshaikh at consensys.com
Thu Mar 3 15:07:52 EST 2005

Ok, now you are running monitor clients on the desktops. I assume you have
only a single network path to the Internet. If your primary network
connection dies, there is little you can do to mark a URL as dead.
Secondly, how many monitor clients are you going to deploy? Everytime there
is a URL "state change", you have to announce it. Everyone then processes
the results, and then multicast more messages across the group to
ack/confirm/etc. A simpler method:

- have a central server managing the list of URLs and their corresponding
state
- monitor clients connect to server periodically notifying server of URL
health status
- so if a client can access a URL, it will notify server the URL is Healthy
- and if it cannot access URL, it will do nothing
- the server sets a 10-minute timeout on each URL state. If 10 minutes are
up, and the URL isn't hasn't been updated with a "Healthy" status, the
server sends an email out.
- the point is, there must be atleast one monitor client out on the Internet
you can access the URL. If no one can, then the URL is expired on the
server, and the server sends out an email.

Pros: Clients do healthy checking and send/recv messages to/from server.
Server handles logic of expired URLs.
Cons: Server is a bottleneck if you have a lot of URLs and lots of clients,
and an SPOF. Unless you implement > 2 servers via spread keeping the states
in sync.

Kashif