[Spread-users] Spread in distributed URL monitor application

Jacob Green jgreen at spreadconcepts.com
Thu Mar 3 08:51:23 EST 2005

Spread can handle WAN networks.  Both in daemon to daemon traffic (UDP) and
daemon to client traffic (TCP/IP).  However, since daemon to daemon traffic
is UDP, it requires any firewalls be open for those ports.  Furthermore if
IP NATing is going on, it gets a lot more complicated.  This may or may not
be the case with the cable modems you are using.

Alternatively, just have the client monitoring programs connect to Spread
via TCP/IP and don't run daemons on them.  Run the daemons on fixed publicly
accessible IP machines you control.  This avoids any firewall/NAT issues.

Jacob