[Spread-users] Spread in distributed URL monitor application

Mike M saetaes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 22:41:32 EST 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 11:56:26 -0500, Jacob Green
<jgreen at spreadconcepts.com> wrote:
> Monitoring "App 1" detects a dead URL, announces it to a Spread Group X.
> Other monitoring apps are listening to Group X, and once they receive the
> dead URL message from App 1, each attempts to connect to the URL.  They each
> announce their results back to the private group of App1.  Once App 1 has
> collected enough results from the other apps (say it take 3 confirmations to
> declare a URL dead), it will then send out the e-mail you spoke of.
>
> Many other options, examples, etc are quite possible.  Including handling
> the case were connectivity between monitoring apps is down.
>
> Jacob

This is exactly the program flow I had in mind.  Any ideas how to get
it started? :)

Seriously though, I think the spread toolkit might just be the trick
for the messaging subsystem for my monitoring app.  If you know if any
perl sample code I can get my hands on, that would be great - I
haven't had much luck finding scripts using spread on the Internet.

Also, is spread suitable for use over high-latency WAN/Internet links?
 Since the monitors will mostly be running on desktop linux boxes
connected to cable/DSL connections, are there any caveats to this sort
of implementation?

Thanks for your input!

Mike