[Spread-users] New to spread, some questions

Ryan Caudy rcaudy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 19:02:31 EST 2005

Spread daemons in the same segment can communicate via
multicast/broadcast.  Spread daemons communicate to their clients
individually, via TCP/IP (for remote or windows connections) or Unix
Domain Sockets for local clients on Unix/Linux machines.

There are efficiency/latency tradeoffs to be made.  Every Spread
daemon you add is one more holder for the token, hence increasing the
latency costs for message ordering and guarantees.  Every non-local
client, on the other hand, is one more time the messages that need to
be delivered to that client are transmitted on the network.  The
overall cost depends on your network architecture, and your
application.

For many basic applications, the recommendation is one Spread daemon
per machine that you'll have clients on.  This way, all the clients
can be local to their daemons.

Cheers,
Ryan