[Spread-users] New to spread, some questions

pedro smith und_pep at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 07:05:52 EST 2005

Thank you,

Just so  I understand the design better, what is gained by using more than one spread daemon? If I have a lan with say 200 processes communicating through spread, some on the same machines, how many  spread daemons should I run and why?

-pp

Ryan Caudy <rcaudy at gmail.com> wrote:
You seem to understand this correctly. The set of spread daemons
(identified by hostname/ip address) must be known when the daemons are
started. The limit of 128 spread daemons (#define'd as
MAX_PROCS_RING) is fixed at compile-time -- you might be able to make
some changes to this, but I'm not sure if anyone has done so, and
there may be complications that I can't think of off the top of my
head. As far as I know, there aren't currently plans to change
Spread's functionality in these respects.

One thing to consider is that the 128 limit is a limit of the number
of daemons -- the number of clients is a large multiple of this.
Also, you can run more than one Spread network on an overlapping set
of machines -- they simply must use different ports, or different
multicast/broadcast addresses.

Cheers,
Ryan