[Spread-users] Minimum size message

Gustavo Castro comadreja_98 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 9 11:33:02 EDT 2005

Hello,
i should have explained myself better. I´ve done a Primary database backup
system, which is a distributed database system where the updates can be done
only in the primary database, and after those changes are done the rest of
the databases get a message with the instructions to update their data so
all of them have the same information.
In order to send the queries from secundaries databases to the primary one,
and to send back the results and updates, i use the Spread multicast
function. By the way, the database systems works under SQL Server.
While running the tests i got an average of 300 msg per query when working
against the primary database, and in this case the Spread is not used.
However, when i did the same tests connecting to the secondary database
which will use the Spread to send the query and get the answers, time rose
up to 4000 msg (average). All the computers are the same, so i´ve been
wondering if this delay is because of Spread waiting to reach a minimum
message size before sending it (maybe using a timeout), or if the way i send
the messages doesn´t send them instantly. This is how i do it

SpreadMessage msgres = new SpreadMessage();
msgres.addGroup(sender);
msgres.setFifo();
msgres.setData(res.getBytes());
msgres.setType((short)3);
connection.multicast(msgres);

Any help would be greatly appreciated, so i can fix any problem or at least
start looking for the solution in other direction. Either way, thanks!!