[Spread-users] Minimum size message

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Sat Apr 9 11:13:38 EDT 2005

Hi,

The data you send in a SP_multicast call can be as small as 0 bytes (if
all you want to send is a signal message with a particular mess_type
field)

The one special case for small messages actually improves performance
with them because it packs small messages into full-sized packets if you
send a lot of small messages at once. If you only send one small message
it is not delayed any more then it would be if it was full-sized (it is
not like NAGLE in TCP) and it is sent as soon as the flow-control allows
it.

Can you send more details about the performance problem you notice? For
example, a description of the scenario or out put from spflooder or
spmonitor showing the problem.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu