[Spread-users] 3.17.3 release -- VC.NET build error/crash

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Mon Oct 25 11:46:40 EDT 2004

Hello,

After the 3.17.3 release we discovered that the binaries built by the
new MSVC++.NET project files (the new win32_msvc_net directory) have a
fatal crash bug that will trigger as soon as two daemons merge (with
some clients connected).

All of the other platforms (including a Windows build using the VC++
version 6 build files in the win32 directory) do not trigger this bug
and should work fine if built from our makefiles or project.

To prevent people from experiencing this if you compile your own
windows binaries, I removed the directory
win32_msvc_net from the spread-src-3.17.3.tar.gz release available on
our website. We will be releasing a fixed VC.NET build package shortly
and it will be available as a separate download.

We have also built new working windows binaries and updated the
spread-bin-3.17.3.tar.gz download to include the rebuilt binaries.

If you downloaded the binary release before today and are using it on
windows, you will want to redownload it. To make sure you have the
correct windows binaries they should have a datestamp of October 22,
2004 on the executables.

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science