[Spread-users] Sending messages to a fixed set of servers

John Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Wed May 5 14:04:46 EDT 2004

You give a good description of Lamport time stamps.  It sounds like you
are on the right track to implement persistant messaging.  Some of the
things you will need to consider:

(0) Is your system client replicator based or server replicator based?
Meaning can a light-weight client connect from anywhere and just get the
messages it needs from replicating servers, or does it run the
replication algorithm itself?

(1) How do you handle partitions and merges and any updates that are
generated in different partitions?

(2) Efficient state transfer / synchronization.

(3) Efficient use of permanent store (disk).

(4) The permanent addition and/or removal of clients.

One thing I'd recommend to you is to use logical names instead of using
IP addresses as the names of your replicators.  This is a more general
approach as it will allow you to relocate a replicator more easily and
also allow you to run multiple replicators on a single machine (if you
ever need to).

Also, don't underestimate the difficulty of what you are proposing. :)

Good luck!

--
John Lane Schultz
Spread Concepts LLC