[Spread-users] topology question

Eric Cholet cholet at logilune.com
Wed Jun 23 10:44:42 EDT 2004

Le 23 juin 04, à 16:30, Yair Amir a écrit :

> Hi Eric,
>
> This is a very good question.
>
> The configuration you listed below is not good because C appears
> in two places.
>
> To achieve what you want the following is a possibility:
>
> Spread_Segment  10.0.0.255:4803 {
>       A        10.0.0.1
>       B        10.0.0.2
>       C        10.0.0.3
> }
> Spread_Segment  192.168.0.255:4813 {
>       D        192.168.0.4
> }
>
> Notice that not only I deleted C from the second segment but I
> also changed the port number there to avoid a potential problem
> with the communication of D.

Doesn't this imply that two spread daemons are running on C,
one on 4803 and one on 4813, and that C needs to connect to both?

> However - there is yet a better way to do it if you only need to
> do what you specified, which is eliminating the second segment all
> together like the conf below and having the client (or clients) on D
> connect directly to the Spread daemon on C. (Spread clients can
> connect to remote daemons). It seems to me this would yield the best
> performance doing exactly what you want.
>
> Spread_Segment  10.0.0.255:4803 {
>       A        10.0.0.1
>       B        10.0.0.2
>       C        10.0.0.3
> }

So do I understand correctly that in this case, D connects to 4803 at C ?

> In any one of the above valid configuration, your clients just join
> the relevant groups (clients from A,B,C join group1 and Clients of C,D
> join group2).

In my application C sends to D, but D never sends anything to C, so
I thought only D would need to join group2. Is that correct?

Thanks much for your prompt and detailed reply.

> Cheers,
>
>     :) Yair.
>

> On Wednesday, June 23, 2004 10:03 AM
> Eric Cholet cholet at logilune.com wrote:
>
> Eric> Hi,
>
> Eric> I have the following setup, where I have 4 machines, A, B, C and
> D.
> Eric> Machines A, B and C each have two network interfaces and are on
> Eric> two segments, one one which is a high speed lan. Machine D is on
> Eric> one segment only.
>
> Eric>   10.0.0.1     10.0.0.2     10.0.0.3
> Eric>    A              B             C            D
> Eric>   192.168.0.1  192.168.0.2  192.168.0.3  192.168.0.4
>

> Eric> I have one spread group whose members are A, B and C and I want
> Eric> the traffic to happen on the 10.0.0.x network.
> Eric> I have another spread group whose only member is D, and only C
> Eric> sends messages to it.
> Eric> I have no IP route between the two networks.
>
> Eric> Will the following work?
>
> Eric> Spread_Segment  10.0.0.255:4803 {
>
> Eric>      A        10.0.0.1
> Eric>      B        10.0.0.2
> Eric>      C        10.0.0.3
> Eric> }
> Eric> Spread_Segment  192.168.0.255:4803 {
>
> Eric>      C        192.168.0.3
> Eric>      D        192.168.0.4
> Eric> }
>
> Eric> Or do I need to run two spread daemons on different ports on
> machine C?
>
> Eric> Thanks,
> Eric> --
> Eric> Eric Cholet