[Spread-users] topology question

Yair Amir yairamir at cnds.jhu.edu
Wed Jun 23 10:30:15 EDT 2004

Hi Eric,

This is a very good question.

The configuration you listed below is not good because C appears
in two places.

To achieve what you want the following is a possibility:

Spread_Segment  10.0.0.255:4803 {
      A        10.0.0.1
      B        10.0.0.2
      C        10.0.0.3
}
Spread_Segment  192.168.0.255:4813 {
      D        192.168.0.4
}

Notice that not only I deleted C from the second segment but I
also changed the port number there to avoid a potential problem
with the communication of D.

However - there is yet a better way to do it if you only need to
do what you specified, which is eliminating the second segment all
together like the conf below and having the client (or clients) on D
connect directly to the Spread daemon on C. (Spread clients can
connect to remote daemons). It seems to me this would yield the best
performance doing exactly what you want.

Spread_Segment  10.0.0.255:4803 {
      A        10.0.0.1
      B        10.0.0.2
      C        10.0.0.3
}

In any one of the above valid configuration, your clients just join
the relevant groups (clients from A,B,C join group1 and Clients of C,D
join group2).

Cheers,

    :) Yair.

On Wednesday, June 23, 2004 10:03 AM