[Spread-users] C Interface question, can I "peek" the group of a message?

John Schultz jschultz at commedia.cnds.jhu.edu
Wed Feb 11 19:09:54 EST 2004

Unfortunately, you need to change the client library to do exactly what
you propose.

However, I believe you can currently peek at the msg. type.  Therefore, if
you can partition your different apps. to only use distinct ranges of the
msg type, then you can do what you want without hacking the library.

Call SP_recv() with 0 for max_groups, 0 for your data buffer size and make
sure that DROP_RECV is not defined in the service_type.  This will always
cause the receive to fail with a BUFFER_TOO_SHORT type error and it will
fill in information about the size of the message, it's type and the
number of dst. groups.  This shouldn't cause too much overhead because the
way the library SP_recv works is:

(1) it reads in _only_ the headers of the next msg from the socket.
(2) performs validation that the caller's buffers are big enough, if not
then it returns a failure code.
(3) if the buffers are big enough it then reads in the rest of the msg
from the socket.

If you failed at step (2), then the next time you call into the library
the headers are already stored inside the library.  And it jumps directly
to step (3).

I think this peek functionality should be more explicitly supported by the
library.  I think we need a new version of the C library that solves a lot
of the known problems with the current interface.

John