[Spread-users] C Interface question, can I "peek" the group of a message?

Andy Stone stone at camiant.com
Wed Feb 11 18:04:28 EST 2004

    I am using the Spread C interface in an application that subscribes
to multiple groups.  I am using the groups to separate the messages by
function; for example, one group might be for distributed logging, while
the other is for remote procedure calls (rpcs).   Of course, I have a
single receive function that grabs the message, checks what group it is
for, and then calls the appropriate handler.  To ensure that these two
functions operate independently (and because they pass messages of
different size), I wanted to preallocate independent message memory
buffers and use the appropriate buffer depending upon the group.
Unfortunately, Spread does not seem to allow you to "peek" at the group
before copying a message into a buffer.  Therefore my only recourse is
to allocate 1 maximum size buffer, receive the message, figure out the
group, and then copy the message into the appropriate group-specific
buffer.  This seems inefficient.

    I was wondering if other people have had this problem and what
solutions were employed.  Also I'd like to gain an understanding of how
independent the groups are within Spread.  For example, will flooding on
1 group cause a DOS on other groups?

Thanks,
Andy Stone
stone at camiant.com