[Spread-users] 3.17.2rc2 release and Re: crash bug report

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Fri Feb 13 11:55:57 EST 2004

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 05:13:39PM -0500, Tim Peters wrote:
> Ah!  OK then, I misread part of the msg to which I first replied.  I agree
> the patched code shouldn't segfault, so if it actually doesn't segfault,
> that settles that.  Jonathan may still wish to keep his declaration as
> int32, though, and trick gcc in some other way.  Since Spread wants to do
> something C wants to discourage (moving the guts of an aligned type to a
> possibly unaligned address), I'm afraid he's in for some obscurity one way
> or another.  But that's why C supports comments too <wink>.

That's why I really appreciate the spread-users community, I always learn
something here.

I agree that the int32 * casts and type are bit on the wild-side of the C
language, and so I'm going with the char * change to fix the alignment
issues. I've put up a new 3.17.2rc2 release on the website that
essentially applies Mikhail's patch and also fixes a #define clash on
at least some solaris machines between SEC (in alarm.h) and SEC (in
sys/time.h)

No other changes were made. If the Sparc/Alpha people can try this and see
if it fixes all of the alignment issues, I'll switch it over to a final
3.17.2 once I hear back as I do not know of any other issues.

Thanks for all the help,

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science