[Spread-users] sublinear movement

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Thu Feb 5 00:55:59 EST 2004

The token will continue to rotate while waiting for new
messages to be generated. To prevent too much wasted bandwith with tokens
doing now work, Spread stops rotating the token after 100 rotations that
accomplish nothing and then switches to only sending the token if a daemon
asks for it, or once a second or so. So the extra 45 tokens were valid
tokens, but no real messages were sent during their cycle (the tokens do
not carry any message content themselves).

We are actually going to switch this in the next version so the token goes
in to 'idle' mode faster as people are often surprised that the token
rotates even when no messages are being sent.

I'm not sure about the exact packet counts you provide, but there is
definitly some fixed overhead per spread message, and some extra traffic
"per second" that will become less noticable the more messages you are
sending per second.

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science