[Spread-users] sublinear movement

Piotr Kozieradzki piotoru at zodiac.mimuw.edu.pl
Thu Feb 5 03:49:52 EST 2004

Jonathan Stanton wrote:

>The token will continue to rotate while waiting for new
>messages to be generated. To prevent too much wasted bandwith with tokens
>doing now work, Spread stops rotating the token after 100 rotations that
>accomplish nothing and then switches to only sending the token if a daemon
>asks for it, or once a second or so. So the extra 45 tokens were valid
>tokens, but no real messages were sent during their cycle (the tokens do
>not carry any message content themselves).
>
>We are actually going to switch this in the next version so the token goes
>in to 'idle' mode faster as people are often surprised that the token
>rotates even when no messages are being sent.
>
>I'm not sure about the exact packet counts you provide, but there is
>definitly some fixed overhead per spread message, and some extra traffic
>"per second" that will become less noticable the more messages you are
>sending per second.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Jonathan

I my aplication I use 6 spread groups (now it is only 2 clients in each
group one publisher one subscriber).

        Legend:
            A, B, C - 3 aplications one per each host
            p -    publisher
            s - subscriber

trafic:
A p1    --> B s1
A p2    --> C s1

B p1    --> A s2
B p2    --> C s2

C p1    --> A s1
C p2    --> B s2

each publisher sends 30 packet/ s (each packet 250B).  each aplication
(A,B and C) includes 2 publisher and 2 subscriber (A includes Ap1, Ap2,
As1 and As2 ;  B include Bp1, Bp2, ... etc). So each genarate proces (A,
B and C) generate 30 * 2 * 250 B/s = 15000B/s.
But in fact the trafic was about 160kB OUT and ~200kB IN.
But after that I test it with 300 packet /s (each publisher).
I found something strange: on host with proces A trafic was something
about ~170kB - ~200kB  OUT    and ~400kB. Isn't to much?

After about one client (A xor B xor C) fall dawn with -8 error.