[Spread-users] spread and freebsd question...

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Wed Dec 15 20:31:07 EST 2004

On Dec 15, 2004, at 7:14 PM, Ryan Caudy wrote:
> Kevin, I don't know why you didn't see any messages after the license
> -- it doesn't match any bug report I'm familiar with.  The message you
> did get means that your Spread daemon can't find itself in the
> configuration file, without help.  It tries gethostname, and then uses
> gethostbyname, to try to discover which daemon entry in the
> configuration file corresponds to it.  If this fails, you have to tell
> it manually on the command line, using the "-n" option.  Try doing
> that in this case, and see if it works.

We have Spread running on a cluster of FreeBSD 5.3 boxen.  It is
compiled from original source.  I'd wager the problem is with something
the FreeBSD ports maintainer added that worked pre-5.3 and no longer
works.

// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc. -- http://www.omniti.com/