[Spread-users] Multiple private networks

Matt Sergeant matt at sergeant.org
Tue Nov 25 15:47:29 EST 2003

On 25 Nov 2003, at 11:44, Yair Amir wrote:

> It is doable in several ways.
>
> If you have only one machine doing the logging (no fault tolerance)
> then you can run the daemon only on this machine and have all the
> other machines just connect remotely to this daemon. Because anyway
> if the 1.2.3.200 is not there you have no logging.

What I suspect will happen is we'll have operations wanting to get the
logs (for error checking and so on) on one machine (1.2.3.200) and I'll
want to see "interesting" events on another machine (perhaps
1.2.3.201). I have a feeling that John's method will work for that.

What I would *really* like is to have a sort of reflector architecture,
where the 10.* machines multicast on the local net, a couple of
redundant failover machines reflect these logs over the internet to
another network, and a couple of redundant receiving machines over
there reflect these packets into a multicast onto *their* local
network. But I'm not sure that's possible without writing my own
program to do the "reflect" part (I'm sure it's possible if I do that).

Matt.