[Spread-users] UDP broadcast question

Monte Ohrt monte at ispi.net
Tue Apr 15 16:29:39 EDT 2003

Hello,

We use currently use spread (v. 3.16.02) and mod_log_spread and
spreadlogd to send apache logs from a web cluster to a log server. Our
spread.conf file looks like this:

Spread_Segment  10.131.255.255:4803 {

server1 10.131.192.1
server2 10.131.192.2
server3 10.131.192.3
(etc)

}

I notice by all the blinking lights on the switch that the packets are
being broadcast across the entire network segment. We only have one
server (10.131.192.118) doing the chore of listening and logging the
spread messages with spreadlogd. Is it possible to have the packets
directed to that machine only (still via UDP) instead of broadcasted? If
so, how do I accomplish this? I thought about changing the configuration
to this:

Spread_Segment  10.131.192.118:4803 {

server1 10.131.192.1
server2 10.131.192.2
server3 10.131.192.3
(etc)

}

But that doesn't look right, the Spread_Segment should be the network
name of the listed systems, yes?

TIA
Monte