[Spread-users] Call for testing of CVS

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Tue Sep 17 01:00:12 EDT 2002

Hi all,

The cvs version of spread now includes everything that should be in the
3.17.0 release which we would like to release within a week. I would
really appreciate any testing anyone could do on the current cvs version.

One thing in particular definitely needs testing. I have applied Theo's
autoconf patches (with shared libraries!) (everyone cheers, waves and a
few roll over in their graves...)

The good news is that this should improve portability in the long term.
The bad news is I'm sure some platforms that had makefile specific hacks
are now broken and I can't fix them as I don't have the machines(SGI,
SOLARIS_CC, HPUX, Windows, and maybe a BSD seem likely to be broken). So
anyone who works on non-linux/freebsd platforms may want to try this
version out and tell me if it works or not so I can fix it before the
official release.

The Readme.txt lists the changes in detail. I'll send more details later
with the official relese, but I wanted to get this out asap.

Thanks,

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science