[Spread-users] autoconf... updated (3.16.2)

Joshua Goodall joshua at roughtrade.net
Tue Sep 10 07:40:13 EDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 08:06:05AM -0400, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
> Because I was told that if there is a change in the minor release
> number, there will be a change in the ABI.  Whether or not this is true,
> is of no concern to me.  When writing patches of this size, the only way
> to even be eligible for acceptance is to "color within the lines".

<idea dump>
To actually make this useful you'll also want to pass --soname to the
linker, e.g. by using

gcc -shared -Wl,-soname -Wl,libspread.3.17.5 -o libsp.so alarm.lo ...

otherwise everyone using -lspread will link against "libspread.so"
(which might be wrong) and not "libspread.so.3.17.5".  You could then
lose minor and micro version numbers and write (say) libspread.4
if the upstream (i.e. Jonathon) decides that a major version bump
represents a non-backwards-compatible ABI change (surely these will
be rare).

As an adjunct to autoconf, GNU libtool can help you with the platform-
independence part of that (e.g. not everyone is going to use
-Wl,-soname).  Libtool-izing libspread seems indicated to match the
autoconf'ing of spread itself.
<end idea dump>

Cheers,
Joshua