[Spread-users] Update from 3.15.1 to 3.16.1

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Mon Mar 4 08:42:48 EST 2002

I can't give a definitive answer as I don't run mod_log_spread myself, but
from the point of view of the Spread api I can say something. We try to make
sure that newer spread daemons are always backwards compatible with older
libraries. So if you have an old application which is staticly linked with
the spread libraries (which is the normal case) and you get a new spread
daemon, the application should continue to work the same and you should not
have to recompile it. I do NOT believe we broke that guarantee between
3.15.1 and 3.16.2rc1 so you could be ok.

However, there will probably be advantages to recompiling in that some bugs
in the library were fixed (not critical). I think the current mod_log_spread
works with the newest spread library, but that is the thing I'm not sure of.

Jonathan

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science