[Spread-users] packet loss? (win2000)

Fernando Marotta F.Marotta at itsoftware.it
Mon Jul 22 09:09:10 EDT 2002

Hi,

I've started spread, the receiver (spflooder ... -ro) and then the sender
(...-wo); what I saw is that the messages are sent very fastly, but the
first X of them are received, and other are lost; it seems that the sender
sends messages at a fast rate, and some of them are dropped.
In fact, if I reduce the send rate (eg: putting a Sleep(1) after each send);
everything works fine (apart from the performance, of course).

I thought it could be possible that spread uses a (too little) buffer for
the incoming messages and after, like, 700 msgs of 100 bytes, the buffer
gets full and all subsequent messages sent are accepted, but are dropped.

I couldn't figure out how to control spread buffer (or other params); and/or
how to know if some packets are lost (or dropped).

I don't know how to give you other ideas about what's wrong.

I would like to know if other spread users are using Win2000 Pro (or other
Win32 arch.) and had some kind of problem/high packet loss rate.

I hope somebody can help me in understanding this issue.

Cheers

Fernando