[Spread-users] Spread for dynamic cluster with nodes entering and leaving at any time

Luis Rodero-Merino lrodero at gradiant.org
Mon Jun 16 10:55:32 EDT 2014

Hello,

I'm a newbie to spread, we are evaluating if it can fit in our scenario. We
have a dynamic cluster of hosts, where nodes can appear (e.g. I add one
more host to increase capacity) and disappear (e.g. some host fails) at any
moment. In this scenario we cannot know in advance which nodes will be
running at any given time, we only know the network they share. We need
nodes to be able to auto-discover each other (i.e., they realize through
spread about other nodes entering or leaving the cluster without any
intervention from administrators), so at all times any given node is aware
of who else is 'alive'.

Given spread documentation, I assume that we need to include in the
spread.conf file a 'Spread_Segment' section where all possible nodes are
defined before-hand, so for network a.b.c.* we could have something like :

Spread_Segment 224.0.2.2:4803 {
    node1            a.b.c.1
    node2            a.b.c.2
    node3            a.b.c.3
    node255        a.b.c.255
}

Is that so? Thank you very much for your help.

Best,
Luis