[Spread-users] solved: daemons can talk to one another using unicast udp

John Lane Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Thu Jul 10 09:35:05 EDT 2014

> I had multiple issues. I had two versions of spread daemons 4.3 and logging set higher in one configuration file then the other.

The logging level should not affect whether daemons can communicate or not.  The only part of the configuration that is used for the config hash are the Spread segments.  They basically have to be exactly the same, including their ordering, on all the daemons in a configuration.

> I did notice that SAFE messages are not persistent, I though if I killed an app running one one machine that joined to a group shared by the other machine that a safe message would be delivered when I rejoined the group.

No, Spread does not do persistent messaging.  Spread is an ephemeral messaging service.  It’s kind of like TCP/IP but generalized for multicast.  A SAFE message delivered before a transitional signal will be delivered in the same AGREED order to all other group members unless they crash.

Cheers!

-----
John Lane Schultz
Spread Concepts LLC