[Spread-users] Questions about CAUSED_BY_NETWORK

andreas.ames at de.transport.bombardier.com andreas.ames at de.transport.bombardier.com
Mon Mar 11 04:33:43 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm a Spread newbie.  I've looked around in the net, the docs and the
examples but I still don't crasp the CAUSED_BY_NETWORK membership
messages, neither conceptually nor API-wise.  I've got the following
questions about it:

1. I understand a CAUSED_BY_NETWORK can mean both that members have been
added to and/or removed from a group, right? Can the same membership
message mix sets of private group names for both kinds of events or
indicates each message either/or?

2. I don't understand how to programmatically determine which private
groups are indicated to join or to leave when I receive a
CAUSED_BY_NETWORK membership message. I see what spuser does with it, but
still I don't fully get it.  Could you give me some hints?

3. I got a single Spread segment on a single LAN with a daemon on each
individual device (less than 10).  I understand that CAUSED_BY_NETWORK can
also happen in this configuration (daemon crash, device crash, cable
breakage, what else?), right?

I'd appreciate explanations, links to other sample code, documents
concerning this.

Thanks in advance,

aa

--

Please consider the environment before you print / Merci de penser à
l'environnement avant d'imprimer / Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt bevor

Bombardier Transportation GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats / Chairman of Supervisory Board: Prof. Dr.
Wilhelm Bender
Geschäftsführung / Executive Board: Michael Clausecker
(Vorsitzender/Chairman), Dr. Susanne Kortendick, Luc Charlemagne,
Gregorius Peters
Sitz der Gesellschaft / Principal Office: Berlin
Registergericht / Registration Court: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB
64838

This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) may contain confidential
or privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) or
entity named above and to others who have been specifically authorized to
receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please
notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by reply
e-mail, and delete the e-mail subsequently. Please note that in order to
protect the security of our information systems an AntiSPAM solution is in
use and will browse through incoming emails.
Thank you.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ce message (ainsi que le(s) fichier(s)), transmis par courriel, peut
contenir des renseignements confidentiels ou protégés et est destiné à
l?usage exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est, par
les présentes, avisée qu?il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le
distribuer ou le reproduire. Si vous l?avez reçu par inadvertance,
veuillez nous en aviser et détruire ce message. Veuillez prendre note
qu'une solution antipollupostage (AntiSPAM) est utilisée afin d'assurer la
sécurité de nos systèmes d'information et qu'elle furètera les courriels
entrants.
Merci.