[Spread-users] Spread in Debian

Andrew Ruthven andrew.ruthven at catalyst.net.nz
Mon Jan 21 21:57:44 EST 2013

On Mon, 2013-01-21 at 18:10 -0500, Christopher Browne wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 5:28 PM, Andrew Ruthven
> <andrew.ruthven at catalyst.net.nz> wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > Sadly it is highly unlikely that Spread will be in the next version of
> > Debian [0].  The previous maintainer of the Debian packages put it up
> > for adoption in 2008 [1] but so far no one has picked it up.
>
> I reported the issue that the version of Spread was rather elderly; was
> rebuffed (not cruelly) that there were further issues of dependencies:
>
> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=469173>

Yes, I recall seeing that. :(

> Since then, the Perl binding package has disappeared altogether, so
> perhaps that roadblock is no longer an issue.

I've built a new libspread-perl package coming from CPAN.  So those
issues listed by Michael no longer apply.  Possibly the SO version isn't
set to what it should be (I used 3, rather than 2), but that is trivial
to fix.

> I'm not a DD, but I'd be happy to try your packaging out and be an
> extra report of installation success, to the extent to which that might
> be helpful for ITP...

I am a DM, and I can get a friendly DD to upload it for me, but if I'm
not going to be using Spread in my day job, then I'll be in a similar
position as Fredeirck Schueler, the previous maintainer.

Please very free to test out the packages. I'm not providing binaries,
but just run:

dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot

Within the checkouts, you'll probably need to install some build
dependencies, and libspread-perl requires that libspread3-dev is
installed.

Cheers!

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
MIITP, ITCP

At work: andrew.ruthven at catalyst.net.nz
At home: andrew at etc.gen.nz
GPG fpr: 34CA 12A3 C6F8 B156 72C2  D0D7 D286 CE0C 0C62 B791
LCA2013: Come join the party... - lca2013.linux.org.au