[Spread-users] Problems with installation of 4.2 release

Johannes Wienke jwienke at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Nov 19 08:22:48 EST 2012

Hi,

thanks for the quick reply.

On 11/16/2012 04:21 AM, Jonathan Stanton wrote:
> For case 1. I think there was a build error in the 'make' stage when
> you ran it, so the make install is skipping all of the binaries built
> from the 'daemons' directory. I noticed in your output below that the
> spmonitor program is also not installed in ./bin/ and spmonitor is
> also built in the daemons/ directory. Can you check the output of the
> 'make' compile run and make sure there isn't a problem.

So, I started over again and without a -j option as indicated by Marcelo
in the other reply.

I found the following errors during the compilation in the log:

gcc -g -O2 -Wall -I. -I. -I../include -I../stdutil/src -I../stdutil/src
-I../libspread-util/include -I../libspread-util/include
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c monitor.c
monitor.c: In function ‘Send_partition’:
monitor.c:532:6: warning: variable ‘proc_index’ set but not used
[-Wunused-but-set-variable]
monitor.c: In function ‘Send_flow_control’:
monitor.c:685:6: warning: variable ‘proc_index’ set but not used
[-Wunused-but-set-variable]
monitor.c: In function ‘Reload_Conf’:
monitor.c:1005:6: warning: variable ‘proc_index’ set but not used
[-Wunused-but-set-variable]
gcc -o spmonitor -rdynamic monitor.o lex.yy.o y.tab.o configuration.o
acm.o -lm -lrt -lnsl  -ldl ../libspread-util/lib/libspread-util.a
../libspread-util/lib/libspread-util.a(events.o): In function
`E_get_time_monotonic':
/tmp/spread-src-4.2.0/libspread-util/src/events.c:195: undefined
reference to `clock_gettime'
../libspread-util/lib/libspread-util.a(events.o): In function
`E_lookup_function_name':
/tmp/spread-src-4.2.0/libspread-util/src/events.c:479: undefined
reference to `dladdr'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [spmonitor] Error 1

However, compilation continued after this and even the return code of
make is 0

For the spread binary I could not find an error and looking at the
daemon folder I can actually find the binary being built:

jwienke at augit:/tmp/spread-src-4.2.0$ ll daemon/sprea*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 jwienke corstaff 657K Nov 19 14:16 daemon/spread
-rw-r--r-- 1 jwienke corstaff  12K Mar 21  2012 daemon/spread.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 jwienke corstaff  29K Nov 19 14:15 daemon/spread.o
-rw-r--r-- 1 jwienke corstaff 3.1K Jun 18 19:54 daemon/spread_params.h

Still, it is not installed. So it seems to me there are two distinct
problems:

1. The Makefile fails to detect compilation errors and continues with an
unexpected behavior afterwards.
2. spmonitor does not compile. ;)

I am actually running an Ubuntu Precise box on 64 bit.

For the compilation error this should be helpful:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2418157/ubuntu-linux-c-error-undefined-reference-to-clock-gettime-and-clock-settim

> I double checked the actual make files in the 4.2 release and ran a
> test here and they do move the spread binary to the install
> directory, just like they used to.
>
> For case 2, this was a known problem (noted in Readme.txt) with the
> 4.2.0 release that it did not work on Windows. Fixing this requires
> both code patches and and updated Windows project files. After the
> 4.2 release a few people in the community worked on fixing this and
> have sent us some patches and updated the VC project files to work.
> We are going to merge these fixes into the next release.
>
> I'll see if a collection of the Windows fixes is in a form I can just
> send out for you to try.

That would be great.

Kind regards,
Johannes