[Spread-users] Problems with installation of 4.2 release

John Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Mon Nov 19 09:05:06 EST 2012

To my eye, it looks like the libspread-util.a linkage needs to come before the other libraries, in particular -ldl and -lrt.

Could you please try moving the libspread-util.a linkage to before these other libraries for spmonitor?

Jonathan, if that fixes this problem we'll need to fix the other targets that have the library linking order incorrect.

Still not sure about the install problem ...

Cheers!

-----
John Lane Schultz
Spread Concepts LLC
Phn: 301 830 8100
Cell: 443 838 2200

On Nov 19, 2012, at 8:22 AM, Johannes Wienke wrote:

Hi,

thanks for the quick reply.

On 11/16/2012 04:21 AM, Jonathan Stanton wrote:
> For case 1. I think there was a build error in the 'make' stage when
> you ran it, so the make install is skipping all of the binaries built
> from the 'daemons' directory. I noticed in your output below that the
> spmonitor program is also not installed in ./bin/ and spmonitor is
> also built in the daemons/ directory. Can you check the output of the
> 'make' compile run and make sure there isn't a problem.

So, I started over again and without a -j option as indicated by Marcelo
in the other reply.

I found the following errors during the compilation in the log:

gcc -g -O2 -Wall -I. -I. -I../include -I../stdutil/src -I../stdutil/src
-I../libspread-util/include -I../libspread-util/include
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c monitor.c
monitor.c: In function ‘Send_partition’:
monitor.c:532:6: warning: variable ‘proc_index’ set but not used
[-Wunused-but-set-variable]
monitor.c: In function ‘Send_flow_control’:
monitor.c:685:6: warning: variable ‘proc_index’ set but not used
[-Wunused-but-set-variable]
monitor.c: In function ‘Reload_Conf’:
monitor.c:1005:6: warning: variable ‘proc_index’ set but not used
[-Wunused-but-set-variable]
gcc -o spmonitor -rdynamic monitor.o lex.yy.o y.tab.o configuration.o
acm.o -lm -lrt -lnsl  -ldl ../libspread-util/lib/libspread-util.a
../libspread-util/lib/libspread-util.a(events.o): In function
`E_get_time_monotonic':
/tmp/spread-src-4.2.0/libspread-util/src/events.c:195: undefined
reference to `clock_gettime'
../libspread-util/lib/libspread-util.a(events.o): In function
`E_lookup_function_name':
/tmp/spread-src-4.2.0/libspread-util/src/events.c:479: undefined
reference to `dladdr'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [spmonitor] Error 1

However, compilation continued after this and even the return code of
make is 0

For the spread binary I could not find an error and looking at the
daemon folder I can actually find the binary being built:

jwienke at augit:/tmp/spread-src-4.2.0$ ll daemon/sprea*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 jwienke corstaff 657K Nov 19 14:16 daemon/spread
-rw-r--r-- 1 jwienke corstaff  12K Mar 21  2012 daemon/spread.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 jwienke corstaff  29K Nov 19 14:15 daemon/spread.o
-rw-r--r-- 1 jwienke corstaff 3.1K Jun 18 19:54 daemon/spread_params.h

Still, it is not installed. So it seems to me there are two distinct
problems:

1. The Makefile fails to detect compilation errors and continues with an
unexpected behavior afterwards.
2. spmonitor does not compile. ;)

I am actually running an Ubuntu Precise box on 64 bit.

For the compilation error this should be helpful:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2418157/ubuntu-linux-c-error-undefined-reference-to-clock-gettime-and-clock-settim

> I double checked the actual make files in the 4.2 release and ran a
> test here and they do move the spread binary to the install
> directory, just like they used to.
>
> For case 2, this was a known problem (noted in Readme.txt) with the
> 4.2.0 release that it did not work on Windows. Fixing this requires
> both code patches and and updated Windows project files. After the
> 4.2 release a few people in the community worked on fixing this and
> have sent us some patches and updated the VC project files to work.
> We are going to merge these fixes into the next release.
>
> I'll see if a collection of the Windows fixes is in a form I can just
> send out for you to try.

That would be great.

Kind regards,
Johannes