[Spread-users] detecting network outages

Michael Peters mpeters at plusthree.com
Thu Jul 2 18:21:23 EDT 2009

Matt Garman wrote:

> In testing this scenario, I cannot figure out how I can get spread
> to tell me if the network is down.

I don't know if you can get spread to tell you, but in this scenario I've used a
  3rd server that periodically sends a "heartbeat" message to the same spread
group and a listener which then updates the timestamp on a file when the
heartbeat is received. And then we use Nagios to monitor the age of that file.
Not perfect, but if there are network problems we know about them soon and only
loose an handful of messages.

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP