[Spread-users] how spread persist messages

John Song delphi329 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 17:11:31 EDT 2008

It is doable.  One option is to have a message aggregator that listens for
messages from multiple message clients.  The aggregator can do message
persistence.  A side benefit of an aggregator is in preserving orders across
distributed message clients.   Persistence is done to local file system.
Then there is a message distributor daemon that actually distribute the
message to actual message consumers who listens on a different group.

While this method works, there are a couple of reason why it is not ideal:
1. if the aggregator is down, message is lost(?).  For asynchronous message
delivery, ideally, a success return code means that message has been
persisted (not necessarily delivered).  If the local spread client can do
the persistence, then there is less of a chance of dropped messages.
Pulling the existence of an aggregator on every message delivery is both
expensive and still not 100% sure of persistence.
2. the aggregator that persists message need to synchronous with the
dsitributor daemon while reading/writing to the local file system.  While it
is not that difficult, it will be better it is not implemented case by case,
but rather by a component of a mesaging platform.

I read the spread user manual.  The user manual is more a spread
introduction literature plus an api reference manual. I can't find more
indepth architecture discussion on spread's internal.  E.g. spread will
retry a message delivery if there is a network failure.  That means it
maintains an internal buffere.  However, how big is the buffer and how large
each message can be?

Is there any white paper on spread?  Any related projects that has done file
system based message persistence with reader/writer synchronization?

thanks,

-john