[Spread-users] reliable messages

John Lane Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Fri Jun 6 12:16:18 EDT 2008

You can also point Google at the archive by using the "site" feature.  For
example, search for: "site:lists.spread.org flow control".

On your original questions,

(1) Spread does not save messages for retransmission across group membership
changes -- if your daemon (or client) drops out for whatever reason, Spread
will not auto-magically recover messages for process that it missed while it
was gone.

(2) A reliable message means that so long as the group membership does not
change, then Spread will recover and deliver this message to all group
members (i.e. - overcome intermittent network packet losses).  The virtual
synchrony property defines what happens to a reliable message around the
time of a (network) membership change.  Basically, processes that go through
the same membership changes will deliver all the same reliable messages.

(3) The Spread project is very stable and the mailing list is quite active.
New releases occur based on demand for new features and when issues are
found.  We are working on a new release for the not so distant future to
address roll over, dynamic reconfig. issues and some minor bugs that have
been brought to light.

Cheers!

---
John Lane Schultz