[Spread-users] reliable messages

Torsten Curdt tcurdt at vafer.org
Fri Jun 6 10:00:29 EDT 2008

>>> he general concept of spread is great I am wondering about a few
>>> details.
>>>
>>> What happens if a box drops out of the spread ring due to a crash
>>> or physical problem. What does that mean to the fact that some
>>> boxes in the ring are sending "reliable messages". I doubt that
>>> that box will get all the messages when it comes back online? Who
>>> would cache the messages if so?
>
> There is no caching.  The daemons are responsible for delivery to
> clients, with the given reliability semantics.

OK ...that's fine. Just wanted clarification on that.

>>> Also I am wondering about the project's state. It has been a while
>>> since the last release.
>> No one here to answer? That sort of answers the last question :(
>
> I think you haven't received much support so far because everything
> you've asked is (I believe) covered in the docs and in the mailing
> list archives.

If so I must have missed that in the docs. As for the archives - they
are not searchable.

  http://commedia.cnds.jhu.edu/pipermail/spread-users/

You are not suggesting that users should go through years of messages
thread by thread - do you?

> I'd argue that the project is quite stable, and has been for years.

  I have used spread before but found the configuration part to be
quite fragile.

Once you got it working it's great though.

cheers
--
Torsten