[Spread-users] Delivery confirmation

Florian Merges fmerges at fstarter.org
Tue Jun 3 16:52:07 EDT 2008

Hi,

2008/6/3 John Lane Schultz <jschultz at spreadconcepts.com>:

> Ultimately, the only way you can be 100% sure your message was received
> and processed by the far end is for an application level ACK
> indicating exactly that.
>
> You can get a good way toward that by having your applications join
> the same groups and then monitoring the membership changes.  So long
> as Spread reports your "buddy" as in the group, then there is a high
> likelihood that he is getting and processing your messages.  Of
> course, this is still not 100% sure, but it might be good enough for
> your needs.

You can also make a wrapper and send an ACK on reception/reading of the
message, doing it optional when connecting to spread or listening to new
messages. It will mean that for each incoming message you will generate a
return message. From the other point of view, from the sender, you will wait
to get an ACK from all the buddies in the channel; then it's up to you and
the problem you try to solve if you can just resend the message to the
group, send it to the private group fo the one that didn't send an ack,
ignore it, log it, or whatsoever...

The solution proposed by John, is simple and doesn't impact so much
performance wise, as usually you're already taking care of membership
changes (events).

Regards,

Florian