[Spread-users] Leader crashing often

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Fri Nov 2 16:40:09 EDT 2007

I've been looking at this issue as well and John is correct that truncation of a
membership list (as long as all the fields are consistent) shouldn't break anything else
inside the daemon (as the actual membership list is still complete and that is what is
used to deliver messages).

However, I'm not sure that is the best solution here, because what that does break is the
guarantee that Spread provides that the membership messages are 'correct' and complete. An
application would now not know what the full membeship of a group was since the membership
messages would be truncated.

So if your truncation patch appears to be working for you and you don't need the accurate
membership messages, then that should be ok for the short term. As I discuss below, I
think I have a better way to fix the problem, but still need to work up the actual patch.

I think the better solution is to allow the membership code to generate larger membership
messages so that the full membership can be delivered to the client. If a client doesn't
want or need membership messages they already can turn them off. Allowing larger messages
in this case would not change the limits on how big a Spread message sent by an
application could be -- that would still be limited, but the membership messages generated
by a daemon and delivered to clients connected to it could be larger.

I'm working on a patch that first enforces the message and scatter limits (as the current
code until it hits that case you triggered, is actually allowing messages larger then the
buffer to be generated) and then will allow the larger membership messages. I don't
believe this buffer problem to have any security consequences, since the data that is
overflowing the buffer is lists of member names generated by the daemon itself and the
names are already checked to be well formed before being stored in the daemon.

Jonathan

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science