[Spread-users] Hard limits

Jacob Green jgreen at spreadconcepts.com
Wed May 30 10:24:19 EDT 2007

Yes, theoretically that would be the max, but the max is actually a lot
lower.  We usually don't recommend running more then a few dozen daemons per
configuration.  Spread uses a token ring type protocol and if the token
traversal becomes too big, the latency of the token starts approaching the
token lost timeouts.  This is one example of why its not practical to scale
Spread to huge numbers of daemons.

However, I don't see why you need to.  Spread can handle hundreds of clients
per daemon, and dozens of daemons.  So just run client on your machines, and
a few daemons.

You can run multiple Spread configurations on different ports, but they will
not talk to each other.

Jacob