[Spread-users] Questions about network disconnections

John Lane Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Thu Mar 1 11:33:37 EST 2007

Scenarios (1) or (3) are the proper behavior of Spread.

In Spread, previously partitioned daemons will detect each other either through
traffic being sent on their segment (i.e. - broadcast/multicast) address or
through periodic unicast probes of remote daemons.

Within a LAN, the periodic probing is very slow (e.g. - once every 5 minutes)
and the daemons rely on (re)discovering one another primarily through hearing
traffic on their segment address.  Spread control traffic, however, doesn't
usually go on the segment address.  Most commonly, only user data traffic goes
on the segment address.  This is why traffic from a spmonitor or, more commonly,
a user application can "wake up" daemons to the fact that they have been
reconnected at the lower level.

Scenarios (2) and (4) are obviously improper behavior.  Most likely though, such
behavior points to a problem in your network as Spread has been heavily tested
in exactly the scenario you are describing.

Blocking does occur while the daemons are reconfiguring and synchronizing.  If
you have a "flaky" daemon that seems to be constantly dis/connecting, which can
cause the membership algorithm to "churn," then this can freeze the
configuration for periods of time.  However, this shouldn't happen in properly
configured and functioning LAN environments.

Answers to your questions:

(1) Spread was built to allow distributed applications to cleanly handle network
partitions and merges.  It provides strong semantic guarantees and a simple
interface for such events.

(2) Yes, it is.

(3) Not that I can see.  However, if you don't have any client traffic flowing,
then the daemons may remain partitioned from their point of view.  The aberrant
behavior you are observing (cases 2 and 4) is most likely due to a flaky
switch/router or NIC(s) in your network.  Also, you might want to try a
broadcast address to see if you get better behavior as not all switches/routers
do multicast properly.

If you would like Spread to reform the daemons even when no client traffic is
flowing, then you could alter the daemon to send some control traffic on the
segment address periodically, which would trigger the membership algorithm to
reform (much like a user application's traffic does).  If you are interested,
Spread Concepts offers consulting services for such projects and you can contact
us at info at spreadconcepts.com

Cheers!